SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

SRB2 Shelter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
SpiritCrusher
Spherallic
mamaluigi
blahblahbal
Fawfulfan
Kyasarin
10 posters

Sonic Robo Blast 2: Your thoughts?

Kyasarin
    Kyasarin
    Gold User

Posts Posts : 77

Sonic Robo Blast 2: Your thoughts? Empty Sonic Robo Blast 2: Your thoughts?

Post by Kyasarin Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:58 am

I just don't really like the game, even with the release of v2.0.

The single-player stages are a chore. The first ones are incredibly basic and bland, and the later ones are either stuffed with too many gimmicks or feel boring to play. The game is incredibly easy, even as Sonic in Ultimate mode, so there really isn't any challenge to anything so I'd never have to use much effort to play.
    Aside from the occasional Match game, the multiplayer sucks. Coop isn't cooperative, Race is a bland Thokfest, CTF is monotonous and repetitive, and Hide and Seek is just plain awful, as all everyone does is hide in corners as Knuckles, and the map selections are all poor to begin with. Match isn't too fun, though it does have its moments, at times.

The community generally sucks, with whiny little kids all over the place, hosting WAD-infested servers, roleplaying, or they're too stupid to actually play the game properly. There's a ton of annoying people, and most of the old people of the commnity are elitist. There's only a small handful of people that I actually like, such as ICE and Jellybones.

The graphics of the game never impressed me. It's 3D, but I dislike the style, everything looks pixelated, and there's a ton of graphical errors and limitations. And, to make things worse, it's very difficult to actually hit something (especially the "final boss"), because you can't visually see the hitbox of 2D sprites. There's fairly little in the way of graphical effects, and the menus seem boring.
    I dislike just about all of the sound effects and music tracks. I have to turn the volume completely off sometimes, and listen to a track on YouTube or something. The only songs that I actually do like are Techno Hill 2's song, Spring Hill's song, Sunken Plant's song, and the original version of Midnight Freeze's song. I really can't stand any of the other music, especially the tracks used in Egg Rock, Arid Canyon, and Greenflower Zone.

The game's incredible age really shows. There's a ton of glitches, limitations, and errors with the engine. There's a vast amount of things that we can't even use, and those are things that could've made the game actually good. The graphics sucks, we can't do many complex features, and the netcode is just awful.

You can customize things, but there really isn't much to it. Character editing is extremely limited now, and it's very monotonous and the new character probably won't even make a difference. Adding sound effects and music is easy, but it ultimately isn't worth it most of the time. Replacing graphics is also easy, but there's annoying palette limitations. Making levels (which is the sole reason I actually have the damn game) can be really monotonous and it takes a long time to actually achieve some progress. SOC files let you make some actually innovative things, but it usually ends up breaking other things or the end product sucks. The best way to modify the game is easily by coding, but even that has limits.
    The content released by the community usually sucks. The levels being downright awful is commonplace, but all the idiots praise it mindlessly and the person continues making the same stupid flaws again and again. Character WADs are almost never finished, and they're mostly recolors, edits, or badly-formed sprites.

tl;dr version: srb2 is vastly overrated, as most of the features downright suck
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 823
    Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

Sonic Robo Blast 2: Your thoughts? Empty Re: Sonic Robo Blast 2: Your thoughts?

Post by Fawfulfan Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:55 pm

The secret to SRB2's success isn't really in the game itself; it's in the thrill of being able to get involved with the community built around it. Creating levels and characters, getting feedback, changing stuff to make it better for other people...well, I'll admit some people don't do that very well, but even so, that's what we're working for here.

Keep in mind that SRB2 is STILL NOT FINISHED! Do you at least like 2.0 better than 1.09.4? Then that means it's improving. This is still something of a transitional version.

That said, I agree that there are lots of things about the game that can be better.

1. The increase in difficulty through the basic level sets is not smooth enough. GFZ and THZ are very easy, then all of a sudden you get DSZ, which isn't so much hard as just really annoying in places. CEZ is easier again, and feels like it still needs some kinks ironed out of it. My definite favorite zone is ACZ, and my only frustration comes from the fact that they only released one act of it right now--but it's still very easy. RVZ is harder, but not by much. Then...WHOA! ERZ is a lot harder, and it really caught me off guard.

2. The multiplayer system definitely needs to be changed. I'll talk about each one separately, in order from best to worst:

-MATCH: The hands-down best multiplayer mode in the game...but although it's improved a lot since 1.09.4, juggling weapons can be kind of unweildy. At the very least, I find it necessary to assign some different keys to different actions.

-CTF: Second best multiplayer mode. Has the same pros and cons of Match.

-COOP: I always hated this mode. What the hell is the point of playing a Single Player level with a bunch of people? When one person wins, everyone wins, so it's too easy and too boring. There's no added benefit to Coop at all, unless you're a bunch of n00bs who can't beat the level on your own and want to accomplish something together. I have to resort to RPing to keep myself entertained, and many people frown upon that.

-RACE: Okay, this is just terrible. The circuit levels are kind of fun to explore in Single Player, but Race Mode itself sucks. For one thing, CHASECAM is enabled by default, but Analog Camera is impossible, and I HATE it when the camera has no Analog; terrible control of the character. I can disable CHASECAM, and that improves things, but why should I have to always go and disable a setting at the start of the game? It's annoying. Also, Race is just not as fun as you'd think from hearing it, especially when you're either one of the losers, and have to do one more humiliating, pointless lap to the Finish Line, or when you're a winner, and have to wait, bored out of your mind, for those losers to catch up. It's basically no-win.

-HIDE-AND-SEEK: Okay, who's the brainiac who thought this up? Hide-and-Seek is a pretty boring game in real life (only five-year-olds find it amusing), and converting it into a video game round in which you have to hide from virtual opponents? POINTLESS, BORING, and DUMB. I find it miraculous that some people actually play in this setting and clog up the Master Server with it. What a waste of time.

3. The character flexibility has gone down horribly since 1.09.4. I know this is just so that the developers can more easily build a more powerful and flexible new character design system for the final version, but so many things have been taken out. Many abilities are gone outright, and many others are inexplicably lumped together with just one other ability, so that you have to take both abilities and nothing else, or neither of them. What remains in the system is well-organized and sensible, but so much is gone! (This also applies to SOCs)

4. OpenGL. It's nice that they have a port for it if you REALLY want to use it, but the fact is that so few people use it now that it's as good as dead. And OpenGL REALLY helped with lag, so now we have to endure a lot of choppy levels that would otherwise have caused no problems.

5. There are some programs associated with SRB2 that desperately need updating, but nobody is troubling to work on:

-THE LAUNCHER: I recently was looking back through my 1.09.4 folder (which is still totally intact), and I came across the Launcher, and I thought "Whoa! I'd forgotten all about the Launcher! Man I had some good times with that thing." Yeah, we can all get by without it, but it sure was a nice thing to have handy.

-THE MSLAUNCHER: This still works fine, but it's not equipped to handle the new version perfectly. It always treats "srb2.srb" as though it's an addon, and it doesn't properly display colored server names (which, given the number of people using them, it should REALLY be able to do).

-SRB2 DOOM BUILDER: Yeah, when you insert the proper IWAD and configuration, it works okay, but there are bits of it that seem bizarrely and stubbornly configured towards SRB2 1.09.4.

6. I haven't heard anything about some of the best mods in SRB2 (SRB2Riders, for instance), being ported over to 2.0. It may be happening; I just haven't heard about it.

Besides these things, however, I love SRB2, and I love the new version. This may sound very tacky and melodramatic, but SRB2 actually was an impetus of personal evolution for me. It exposed me to my first real modding and addon-making experiences, and changed my video game activities so that I was less about playing them and more about deconstructing and tinkering with them. More than that, the SRB2 Message Board taught me valuable lessons about Internet interactions, and how to be mature online (or least more mature than most--think 4Chan). It also exposed me to honest feedback, and got me thinking more than ever about trying to tailor my work so that I won't be the only one who enjoys the end result.

So, for all its faults, SRB2 is still a great game, and one that I never tire of.
    blahblahbal
    blahblahbal
    Gold User

Posts Posts : 312

Post by blahblahbal Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Well, I play the game properly and everything, but since 1. I can't get through ERZ2 w/o god mode, and 2. It's not finished yet, I've gotten quite bored with the game. Therefore, I've been playing mode by other people and stuff. What I don't like about v2.0 is the new saving system; It's just dumb. I like to be able to save after each act, so that I can save my emerald progress if I can't seem to get a certain emmy again or whatever. I also don't like that Chaos mode was taken out in 1.09.4, because I liked Chaos mode a lot. Further, I liked the varying difficulty levels for easy, normal, hard, very hard, etc. I was sad to see that taken out.

Okay, things I like about 2.0. The music tracks; the Arid Canyon tracks are excellent, I love Midnight Freeze, Egg Rock, tunes 87-89, I like Spring Hill's music, and DSZ's music is quite nice. I also cannot believe the intricateness of the ERZ set of levels; my mouth dropped to the floor when I opened ERZ2 in Doom Builder. The graphics are a bit pixelated, but that's expected with a game that's based in the Doom Engine.

More coming later.
    mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Posts Posts : 108

Post by mamaluigi Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:03 am

I agree with Fawfulfan greatly! However, I dislike the character limitations. Also, SRB2 doesn't want to advertise my server! However, I just LOVE this game! Can't wait for next version! Here are the multiplayer game modes with my opinions.

1.CTF
    If people are cooperate, it's very fun! ^^

2. Match
    Fun when the opponents are not unstoppable.

3. Hide and Seek/Tag
    Fun, but is too hard to find people when in a huge map, when in a small and simple one, it's boring.

4. Race
    Always it's a thokfest, but when seeing ONLY the good stuff, it can be fun.

5.Coop
    No cooperation at all. Nobody helps each other! And everyone focuses on to be the first! D:<
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

Post by Fawfulfan Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:17 am

Your server probably isn't advertised because you haven't opened up the right ports.

No, I don't know how to do it.
    mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by mamaluigi Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:09 am

fawfulfan wrote:Your server probably isn't advertised because you haven't opened up the right ports.

No, I don't know how to do it.
    Well, I opened the port 5029, and had players joined...days ago...
    AND I don't EVEN know when my server shows up! It's a mean habit! Crying or Very sad
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:12 am

You know what? I actually have no idea how to open port 5029. How did you do it?
    mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by mamaluigi Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 pm

fawfulfan wrote:You know what? I actually have no idea how to open port 5029. How did you do it?
    Follow the steps correctly, and it will work out! Trust me! It worked with no problems! Smile
    First go here:
    http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
    Then here:http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/SRB2/SRB2index.htm
    After the first link, it's not needed to click the second! Just type your IP in adress bar, then give it user: admin pass: admin
    Click forward and type 5029! ...But clicking the second link might be useful! Wink
    blahblahbal
    blahblahbal
    Gold User

Posts Posts : 312

Post by blahblahbal Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Well, thank you! I had no idea how to do this either. Doing this right when I get home.
    Spherallic
    Spherallic
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 3

Post by Spherallic Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:06 am

SRB2. The game I like to play most. But wait, I'm not a blind fanboy that just says everything is awesome, everything has it's faults.

Positive points:
    ++The massive amount of customization, especially the level designing. SOCcing seems pretty powerful too, but it's kinda hard to figure out for me.
    ++Match and CTF mode. In my opinion, these modes are the absolute pride of SRB2. It's a shooter, but it's very different and refreshing compared to other shooters. The new weapon system is very well thought-out, and the official Match and CTF stages are the best stages I've seen for 2.0, they've set the standards for the new version very high.
    +The Single Player campaign, while not completed, is also pretty enjoyable. The new levels are good, and especially ERZ is very fun to play.
    +The music also deserves a mention, I'm a sucker for original music. Most tracks are pretty enjoyable to listen to.
    +Visuals are also pretty decent, some textures look way better than others though.

Negative points:
    --It's still incomplete, as signified by the gaps in the Single Player and Multiplayer rotations.
    --Coop is a horrible idea, it's only fun while playing splitscreen with someone who's new to the game. It also gives leeway for roleplaying and hangout, which are forbidden, and not fun in my opinion.
    -We need some more diversity in the music slots, especially while talking about ice music.
    -Race is boring, and the official stages aren't that good. They're clearly worse than the official Match and CTF maps.
    -OpenGL is very ugly in my opinion, plus it's very buggy (as of now). Good thing it's incompatible.
    -Some Single Player levels still aren't good. GFZ is boring and bland, THZ Act 1 is monotonous, and CEZ is just slightly better than in 1.09.4 (act 2 is also incomplete).
    --The huge amount of n00b servers are also pretty annoying.

There may be some other things, but I can't recall them at the moment.
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Spherallic wrote:Coop is a horrible idea

For saying that, sir, I am strongly considering promoting you.

(Well, that's kind of an exaggeration, but yeah, couldn't agree more.)
    SpiritCrusher
    Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 31

Post by SpiritCrusher Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:48 am

Spherallic wrote:+Visuals are also pretty decent, some textures look way better than others though.
    This is something that bugs me a lot as well. Especially the 1.X textures are really plain and boring in contrast to most of the new ones. The bad thing is that it makes GFZ and THZ looks boring as well.

Spherallic wrote:-OpenGL is very ugly in my opinion, plus it's very buggy (as of now). Good thing it's incompatible.
    It's not even in the game, so I don't why this has to do with rating it. Also, turn on trilinear filtering, some people like that more.

Spherallic wrote:-Some Single Player levels still aren't good. GFZ is boring and bland, THZ Act 1 is monotonous, and CEZ is just slightly better than in 1.09.4 (act 2 is also incomplete).
    This is absolutely true. None of the classic game used an introduction zone as content-less as GFZ. I understand that Act 1 has to be short and easy, but Act 2 could at least have some original ideas. THZ1 is the worst though. It's basically GFZ4 with even uglier textures and the most pointless enemy choice imaginable. I mean, RED CRAWLAS? I'm glad that Act 2 doesn't use them except for one spot, but the button pressing room at the end should receive revamping. And no, CEZ is a lot better than the 1.09.4 version but that's only because the old one was horrible beyond imagination. The new one isn't that good.
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:34 pm

I don't think anyone can deny, however, that ERZ is epic. Unless your definition of "epic" is a LOT different from mine.
    SpiritCrusher
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SpiritCrusher Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:43 am

Believe me, there are people who dislike ERZ. Those are mostly the ones that are too bad at the game to beat it, however. If you don't like ERZ, you're either a weird person, or don't like the game at all.
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Posts Posts : 290

Post by a cat Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:26 am

I like ERZ. The only thing I hate about it is how if you try to join in netgames it will kick you but other then that it is fun.
    mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by mamaluigi Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:25 am

Well, I just made a new list of my favourite game modes...!
    1. Coop-People underestimate it, but it's the most fun game mode ever! Wink
    2. Tag/HAS-I <3 playing it, but I like HAS better!
    3. Race-Simply a coop mode made into racing.
    4. CTF-Why did this go down here? Find out in the 5.!
    5. Match-BAD,BAD,BAD! I always meet with GRANDMASTER players and they use me as a punchbag/farm! I want Training mode so badly! Sad

Also, I don't like ERZ because the length and the difficulty! Everyone laughs at me, but I don't like this zone at all...! Sad
    SpiritCrusher
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SpiritCrusher Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:17 pm

mamaluigi wrote:
    5. Match-BAD,BAD,BAD! I always meet with GRANDMASTER players and they use me as a punchbag/farm! I want Training mode so badly! Sad

Also, I don't like ERZ because the length and the difficulty! Everyone laughs at me, but I don't like this zone at all...! Sad
    This post in a nutshell: You dislike the parts of the game you suck at. Did you ever consider that it's your fault and not the fault of the game?
    mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by mamaluigi Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:27 pm

SpiritCrusher wrote:
    mamaluigi wrote:

This post in a nutshell: You dislike the parts of the game you suck at. Did you ever consider that it's your fault and not the fault of the game?
    I didn't say that way! I tried to say that act 2 is way too long and difficult! Sad *sigh*
    SpiritCrusher
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SpiritCrusher Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:30 pm

You might not have said it that way, but it's obvious that you dislike those parts that you're not good at. Also, ERZ2 is the last non-boss level in the game. If it wasn't extremely challenging and long, I would be throughly disappointed. Also, it's perfectly possible to beat if you just try a bit.
    Casp
    Casp
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 23

Post by Casp Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:02 pm

SRB2 is fun, and I enjoy the customization and such.
    Pros:
    ~You can make your own levels/characters/items
    ~Single Player is fun to play through with Sissy Mode
    ~CEZ has been improved on
    ~Egg Rock Zone! Pure win.

Cons:
    ~2.0 has less character flexibility
    ~DB is annoying when you're trying to place items and enemies
    ~Single Player is hard to play in the later stages without Sissy Mode
    ~OpenGL is ugly and buggy
    ~Race is rather boring
    ~A bit more secrets in the beginning stages would be nice...

It's still fun, but I can't really say anything for the multiplayer aspect of it, since I've never actually played with someone else in SRB2...
    Dails
    Dails
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 6

Post by Dails Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:48 pm

SRB2 is an game I love to play, especially on the race mode. But:

There are way too much servers with wads. Can't they play normally, without modifications? Why they do that? They add wads because of the boring normal gameplay they get without adding anything to make it more fun. Wanna know why the gameplay is "boring"? Because:

• The coop levels are just stupid. GFZ is plain and simple, THZ is too complex, DSZ is hard for some beginners (it's the 3rd level in the game!), CEZ is ridiculous because of all those Eggman robots and statues (and doesn't have an boss stage), ACZ is just a lot of sand, RVZ is lava everywhere, and ERZ is too long and with a lot of hard gimmicks (it's the only level I can't finish, even though it's the last non-boss level in the game).

• The match/team match levels have one single strategy: run, collect rings, shoot them, repeat. This makes gameplay a bit repetitive. Otherwise than that, match is fun.

• The CTF levels are like team match, but with flags. And like match, there's only one strategy: invade the enemy base, get the flag, return to your base and repea i all again. I like CTF, but it's like match: repetitive.

• The hide and seek/tag levels are really bad. You just use Knuckles and climb one of the wall's top corners.

I'll do more later. Maybe.
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:25 pm

I agree with you on Tag Mode, but you're not really describing why any of that is "boring", or giving examples of more interesting alternatives. I actually quite like most of those levels/concepts.
    SpiritCrusher
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SpiritCrusher Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:48 am

Dails wrote:The coop levels are just stupid.
    I fear I must call you out on that. (By the way, those are single player levels, not coop levels.)

Dails wrote:GFZ is plain and simple
    Yes. How is that bad? The first zone should be plain and simple.

Dails wrote:THZ is too complex
    THZ? Complex? You must be kidding me. Anyway, you complain that the first zone is so simply, and then THZ is suddenly too complex for you? I call bullshit.

Dails wrote:DSZ is hard for some beginners (it's the 3rd level in the game!)
    It's not hard if you understand the elementary concept of grabbing air bubbles. But it's gonna be a bit easier in 2.1.

Dails wrote:CEZ is ridiculous because of all those Eggman robots and statues
    Sorry, what? I fail to see how the fact that CEZ has statues and Eggman robots makes it ridiculous.

Dails wrote:(and doesn't have an boss stage)
    Considering you apparently hate every other level, maybe you should be thankful.

Dails wrote:ACZ is just a lot of sand
    lol no it isn't. It hardly has any sand at all.

Dails wrote:RVZ is lava everywhere
    Again, I fail to see how that is a problem. I kinda expect a volcano level to have lava everywhere.

Dails wrote:and ERZ is too long and with a lot of hard gimmicks
    I consider that a good thing. Just like the first zone should be plain and simple, the last zone should be long and hard.

Dails wrote:(it's the only level I can't finish, even though it's the last non-boss level in the game).
    "Even though"? What? I'd say that if there is any zone that you can't finish, it makes sense if it's the last one.

Dails wrote:The match/team match levels have one single strategy: run, collect rings, shoot them, repeat.
    That is a ridiculous oversimplification. Let me try that too: "Single player sucks because all you do is run to the exit. Race sucks because all you do is run until you finish four laps."

Dails wrote:And like match, there's only one strategy: invade the enemy base, get the flag, return to your base and repea i all again.
    Same here.

Dails wrote:The hide and seek/tag levels are really bad.
    There are no Hide & Seek levels in SRB2.

I get the feeling you have absolutely no clue why you like/dislike certain parts of the game and just make shit up so you can complain. And with that, I conclude my first and probably last post in a few months and continue ignoring this forum. Wink
    Ors
    Ors
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 23

Post by Ors Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:05 pm

I like CTF in modern levels.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 11:33 am