SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

SRB2 Shelter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
a cat
blahblahbal
Fawfulfan
mamaluigi
8 posters

How do I make a nice looking/fun map?

mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Posts Posts : 108

How do I make a nice looking/fun map? Empty How do I make a nice looking/fun map?

Post by mamaluigi Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:23 am

I guess it's too obbous or a bad question, but i readed all the tutorials on the Wiki, but I really just can't make a map that isn't too basic! <Sad
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 823
    Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

How do I make a nice looking/fun map? Empty Re: How do I make a nice looking/fun map?

Post by Fawfulfan Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:36 am

It's really something you just learn over time; there's no ironclad formula for making a good map, only general tips you should follow, like the ones you saw on the Wiki. But here are three tips that I like to use:

1. Play through some levels other people deem "good". Try to replicate general elements about it that made it good, like an open feel or a lack of linearity.

2. If there's a specific thing about the level that you REALLY like, try reproducing it in your level--but don't just rip people off; modify it to make it more original and more appropriate to your level.

3. Don't JUST use other people's ideas; sometimes inspiration strikes, and you have an idea for something totally new. BUT: This is the most important thing to remember about pulling off that novel idea: Do EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER to make it look EXACTLY LIKE IT DOES IN YOUR HEAD. If you say "Oh, it would be to hard to add this, so I'll just do this, and it won't really matter..." then you are not letting that idea of yours reach its full potential. I can't tell you how many times I had a great idea, and then ruined it when I actually made the map because I was too lazy to reproduce it exactly as it was in my mind. When I buckle down and make absolutely sure that my idea comes out exactly like I imagined it, people tend to like the level.

These three tips are really driving my own level design as I create Tortured Planet. And I think they can work for anyone.
    mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Posts Posts : 108

How do I make a nice looking/fun map? Empty Re: How do I make a nice looking/fun map?

Post by mamaluigi Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:09 am

fawfulfan wrote:It's really something you just learn over time; there's no ironclad formula for making a good map, only general tips you should follow, like the ones you saw on the Wiki. But here are three tips that I like to use:

1. Play through some levels other people deem "good". Try to replicate general elements about it that made it good, like an open feel or a lack of linearity.

2. If there's a specific thing about the level that you REALLY like, try reproducing it in your level--but don't just rip people off; modify it to make it more original and more appropriate to your level.

3. Don't JUST use other people's ideas; sometimes inspiration strikes, and you have an idea for something totally new. BUT: This is the most important thing to remember about pulling off that novel idea: Do EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER to make it look EXACTLY LIKE IT DOES IN YOUR HEAD. If you say "Oh, it would be to hard to add this, so I'll just do this, and it won't really matter..." then you are not letting that idea of yours reach its full potential. I can't tell you how many times I had a great idea, and then ruined it when I actually made the map because I was too lazy to reproduce it exactly as it was in my mind. When I buckle down and make absolutely sure that my idea comes out exactly like I imagined it, people tend to like the level.

These three tips are really driving my own level design as I create Tortured Planet. And I think they can work for anyone.
    Thanks! I'll try! Very Happy
    blahblahbal
    blahblahbal
    Gold User

Posts Posts : 312

Post by blahblahbal Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Oh, thank you thank you thank you. I needed this topic a long time ago.
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Posts Posts : 290

Post by a cat Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:39 am

Well all you do is draw in DB, what comes to mind. Take your time. A level takes at least a few hours to make. It is things I can't figure out.
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

Post by Fawfulfan Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:58 am

a cat wrote:Well all you do is draw in DB, what comes to mind. Take your time. A level takes at least a few hours to make. It is things I can't figure out.

A decent level takes at least a few days to make. Ideally, weeks or months. If it takes you a few hours, you need to spend more time on them.
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Post by a cat Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:21 pm

How? I need help with that part?!
    blahblahbal
    blahblahbal
    Gold User

Posts Posts : 312

Post by blahblahbal Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:46 pm

I agree with fawfulfan, though I once made a pretty good level, Wacky Zone, in one day. Though I wouldn't call it perfect, by no means.
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Post by a cat Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:51 pm

So I should slow down?!
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:20 pm

Well, if you can make a functioning level quickly, there's no need to slow down. BUT...once you're done, you should go back and try to improve as many parts as you can. Fix glitches, add more gimmicks, perhaps even create some new paths or secret areas.
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Post by a cat Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:11 pm

I need tips on things? How should I place them. How high should rings float?
    Kyasarin
    Kyasarin
    Gold User

Posts Posts : 77

Post by Kyasarin Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:32 pm

Rings should float 32 units about the ground.
    Flowers should be placed sparingly and scattered throughout, but you should use variation.
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:44 am

a cat wrote:I need tips on things? How should I place them. How high should rings float?

You don't need to give rings height. Just check the Deaf tag (when you look at rings, it's called the "Float" tag), and they'll float at the proper height.
    Violo
    Violo
    Inactive Dude
    Inactive Dude

Posts Posts : 77

Post by Violo Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:32 pm

fawfulfan wrote:
    a cat wrote:I need tips on things? How should I place them. How high should rings float?

You don't need to give rings height. Just check the Deaf tag (when you look at rings, it's called the "Float" tag), and they'll float at the proper height.

Actually, Doom Buidler glitches up and Deaf is actually the one that does it. Float does nothing since it's the Multiplayer tag I believe...
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Violo wrote:
    fawfulfan wrote:

Actually, Doom Buidler glitches up and Deaf is actually the one that does it. Float does nothing since it's the Multiplayer tag I believe...

No, no, Violo. "Float" and "Deaf" are the exact same tag. It's just that, when you're looking at the entry for the Ring item, the GUI automatically changes "Deaf" to "Float". Several other Things do this to the Deaf tag, as a helpful way of showing what the tag does for that specific item. For instance, the GUI displays the Player Start Deaf tag as "Spawn From Ceiling", and the Eggmobile Deaf Tag as "Has Spikes".
    GigabrowserX
    GigabrowserX
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 43

Post by GigabrowserX Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:18 am

If you don't know how to make FOFs, then you can create many sectors, add new music and sprites...
    I will do that in my levels.
    If you will make mod, make sure your level include some secrets, rings (of course!) and 1 up(s) etc...
    Allways your level can include secrets and 1 up(s) etc...

Last edited by GigabrowserX on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    SpiritCrusher
    Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 31

Post by SpiritCrusher Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:18 am

No. If you can't make an FOF, you can't make a good level. It's as simple as that. Also, many enemies don't make a level better.
    GigabrowserX
    GigabrowserX
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 43

Post by GigabrowserX Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:19 am

SpiritCrusher wrote:No. If you can't make an FOF, you can't make a good level. It's as simple as that. Also, many enemies don't make a level better.
    Hmm... I agree.
    Well, now i know how to make FOFs, and it's easy as pie.

Last edited by GigabrowserX on Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added some more text.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:35 am