SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

SRB2 Shelter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Sonic's Summer

BlueRooster
    BlueRooster
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 5

Sonic's Summer Empty Sonic's Summer

Post by BlueRooster Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:30 am

Let me Tell you some things about this mod.

1# When done it will have 120 maps.

2# If I have to do a lot of school, it will not be done for a LONG time!

3# Green Hill Zone is 80% done.

Want to help, you CAN!
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 823
    Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

Sonic's Summer Empty Re: Sonic's Summer

Post by Fawfulfan Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Okay, seriously? Did you even GLANCE at the rules? Do not post a topic about a mod without screenshots or a download link. And do not make ridiculous claims about massive projects. A 120-map mod would be just about impossible even for the developers of SRB2, let alone you. It took me about eight months to make a 72-map mod, and that was with several repeating levels. And even then, here's the thing: I didn't set out with the goal to have Tortured Planet be 72 maps; I initially believed it was going to only be 28. In fact, even 28 maps probably seemed insane to my fellow SRB2MB users at the time, and it's nothing short of a miracle that Tortured Planet got as big as it is. Mystic Realm also had similarly humble beginnings, being patched together from what was originally a bunch of standalone projects.

You've got to understand, 99% of all ambitious mod projects for SRB2 fail. This is because the authors have big mouths and big dreams, but lack any of the skills or ambition to really follow through with it. The tiny handful of mods that DO succeed, on the other hand, usually start out as modest creations. Their authors took things one step at a time. They worked hard but never set goals they had no hope of reaching, and they certainly never started out by proclaiming boldly how massive and how great their mods were going to be. They didn't need to; they PROVED it by actually putting time, effort, and care into the damn thing. I'll be blunt: your project seriously looks like the standard 99% grandiose-claim-that-falls-apart deal.

I'm locking this topic. Don't bring up this project again until you have PROOF of it. And don't kid yourself; you cannot make a mod with 120 maps. I'm not saying you should give up on modding for SRB2, I'm saying that you shouldn't set yourself up for failure like you have here. Try setting your sights way lower. Make a mod with three zones of three acts each--a total of nine levels. Even that is a lot of work, but it can be done with the right dedication. Package it as Version 1.0 of your mod. And then, if you still have some creative juices left in you, make another three-act zone. It's much more constructive to set small goals and exceed them than set impossible goals and come up pathetically short.

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 am