SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

SRB2 Shelter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Goomba

743mph
    743mph
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 26

Goomba Empty Goomba

Post by 743mph Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:37 pm

NOTE: Please do not mistake this for a port of the 1.09.4 Goomba WAD.

Well, school is finally out. Now that I don't have homework or studying to worry about, I have a whole bunch of free time, and most of that free time is spent being insanely bored. As a result, I decided to do something to pass the time, and here is the result.
    ---
    Story: The Goomba is the last of his race, as all of his bretheren have gone extinct due to a certain pair of plumbers. He somehow managed to escape to Sonic's universe, but now he has Eggman to deal with. Even worse, most of the anthropomorphic animals around him rideculed him, telling him that he wouldn't last a week on Mobius. As a result, the Goomba set out to defeat Eggman once and for all, and prove to everyone that he can survive in Sonic's world just as well as they can.
    ---
    Gameplay: The Goomba plays quite differently from most other characters, and I feel that is his most defining characteristic. Instead of being speed-based, the Goomba's gameplay is primarily based on jumping with great precision. As a result, most of his moves involve modifying his jump in some way. He can't spindash, but he can jump about 1.5x as high as Sonic or Tails. He can also slow the descent of his jump to allow him to cross wider gaps.
    ---
    Shadow Goomba--When he collects all seven Emeralds and 50 Rings in Match, the Goomba can transform into the Shadow Goomba. The Shadow Goomba is arguably the most powerful super-form in the game. He can't spindash, like the Goomba himself, but he can jump the highest of any super or non-super character: an astounding 300 fracunits. Also, his slow descent is transformed into an upwards flying ability which never runs out.

Goomba Srb20064
    Goomba Srb20065
    Goomba Srb20066

Download: goomba.zip
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 823
    Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

Goomba Empty Re: Goomba

Post by Fawfulfan Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:18 pm

Errr...

Well, I guess it's marginally better than your past creations, given that it's not a hedgehog recolor and it has some fine-tuned controls, but it's still a sprite rip and it still smacks of minimal effort.

If you absolutely insist on making characters, you should follow the example of DECENT character WADs, like KO.T.E. or Yattana, and create some original sprites that are in the style of SRB2 but are totally self-designed. But as I've told you, I honestly don't recommend making characters at all, because creating an original and decent character is insanely hard, boring, and time-consuming. And based on the history of SRB2 character design, even if you manage to make a fantastic character, people will forget about it after a week. If not after a few hours.

I'm gonna say it yet again: MAKE A LEVEL. Levels are fun to create (generally, the better the level, the more fun the creator had making it), and a great level has virtually immortal appeal (Botanic Serenity anyone?). The possibility space for levels is much greater than for characters. Best of all, there is an Official Level Design Contest, so you can easily get your work thrust into the limelight for people to critique. And it is also much easier to offer criticism on levels than characters.

In all honesty, I'm not going to take your work seriously until you try your hand at level design. Don't be discouraged if your first level isn't that great. Make levels for a long time and you'll get good. And you'll learn to enjoy it, too.
    743mph
    743mph
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 26

Post by 743mph Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:38 pm

To be completely honest, I didn't intend for this thing to be outstanding or even worth noticing. I just made it because I was bored. And I have been making a few levels. You might see a glimpse or two of them in the trailer for ERB2 V3.0. However, I'm not quite sure whether the levels are worth the effort, but I'll take your word for it, since you're more experienced with making levels than I am.
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Posts Posts : 290

Post by a cat Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:53 pm

I think it looks ok. Just needs more shading.
    DTH123
    DTH123
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 21

Post by DTH123 Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:14 am

cool
    Gold Rose
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 23

Post by Gold Rose Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:19 am

Were the sprites made in MS Paint? Just curious.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content