SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

SRB2 Shelter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

srb2 editing for dummies?(allot of questions from a clueless n00b)

Diamondsofmayhem
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 11

srb2 editing for dummies?(allot of questions from a clueless n00b) Empty srb2 editing for dummies?(allot of questions from a clueless n00b)

Post by Diamondsofmayhem Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:21 pm

I have the tools srb2 doom editor and slumped,
    what other programs might I need, what do they do, and how do I use them?
    what kind of coding might I need to do, if at all, what is the list of usable commands.
    how might I set water level in a map, (rivers, waterfalls.
    setting level mode (side scroll, 3d, ect)
    as well as common tips to make sure one would have it all correct.

I know this all might sound kinda dumb, but, I just don't know how else to ask. or were to look.
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 823
    Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

srb2 editing for dummies?(allot of questions from a clueless n00b) Empty Re: srb2 editing for dummies?(allot of questions from a clueless n00b)

Post by Fawfulfan Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Sounds like you need a basic tutorial of FOFs, linedef executors, and level headers. You can find all of those on the SRB2 Wiki.
    Diamondsofmayhem
    New User
    New User

srb2 editing for dummies?(allot of questions from a clueless n00b) Empty Re: srb2 editing for dummies?(allot of questions from a clueless n00b)

Post by Diamondsofmayhem Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:52 pm

one quick Google for "srb2 wiki"

is this the one? http://wiki.srb2.org/
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

Post by Fawfulfan Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:08 pm

Yes, that is the SRB2 wiki.
    Diamondsofmayhem
    New User
    New User

Post by Diamondsofmayhem Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:34 pm

awesome,
    everything seems to be pretty simple,
    water level, damage types, colormaps.

there doesn't seem to be any explanation on how the thok barrier is to be applied,
    http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Thok_Barrier

any tips on this before I go embarrassing myself??
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Yeah, that should be up there.

It's not too hard, though. Before you start creating the level, make a big sector with identical floor and ceiling height. Give the ceiling the F_SKY1 value if you want the sky to be visible, and give both the ceiling and floor the value if you want the whole level to be surrounded by sky. The level itself should generally always have a floor lower than the floor of the thok barrier, but it can be higher than the ceiling if you want. It really depends on the situation and the effect you're going for; play around a little until you get the desired setup.
    Diamondsofmayhem
    New User
    New User

Post by Diamondsofmayhem Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:08 pm

That seems to have done the trick!
    thanks a bunch fawful,
    Diamondsofmayhem
    New User
    New User

Post by Diamondsofmayhem Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:56 pm

okay,
    sorry to bump this, but,

im using srb2 doom builder with the 2.0 configuration file.
    Ive had 3 maps go completely to hell,
    (thankfully these were only maps to see what I can create and have functional rather than actual levels [test maps]
    I somehow end up with a bunch of unclosed sectors
    trying to fix it only causes more problems,
    and removing and replace them is when the real hell breaks loose.

so, with this,
    is there a way to prevent this problem?
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:56 am

Here's how to prevent this problem: Never delete individual linedefs. Just don't do it. Only extremely skilled SRB2 mappers are capable of recognizing the rare situations in which that is acceptable. If you want to delete a sector, either merge it into a nearby one or drag together its vertices and linedefs.
    Diamondsofmayhem
    New User
    New User

Post by Diamondsofmayhem Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:35 pm

here is the thing though,
    these broken area's are popping up before deleting anything.

during the placing of them, but yes, deleting only makes it worse....much much worse....
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:42 am

Are you making sure to completely close all your sectors when you make them?
    Diamondsofmayhem
    New User
    New User

Post by Diamondsofmayhem Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:03 am

using the "snap to grid" option while running lines all corners meet before I finish.
    Pretty sure they are anyway, is there a way to tell for sure before it becomes a major problem?
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:39 am

Uh, do you mean that you want to create bigger sectors than you think you can do? You can easily modify sectors you have already created with Vertices Mode. In any case, I really have no idea what your issue is, but I'm sure it's just caused by a lack of experience. You should always use Snap to Grid; you can hold down the Shift Key to ignore the grid at any time. And you should ALWAYS make sure that your sector is a closed shape.

Also, to check whether you have unclosed sectors, you can use the "Find Map Errors" tool.
    Diamondsofmayhem
    New User
    New User

Post by Diamondsofmayhem Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:49 pm

pretty much, Were it should be closing, it is not.

ah, ill quit wasting your time. sorry man.
    sonic hail
    sonic hail
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 40

Post by sonic hail Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:59 am

srb2db error 13 how to fix
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:52 am

You have now posted this complaint in 4 separate topics. That is completely inappropriate; just wait for a response in one topic, please.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 11:39 pm