SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

SRB2 Shelter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

SURPRISE CHALLENGE: Canceled

Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 823
    Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

SURPRISE CHALLENGE: Canceled Empty SURPRISE CHALLENGE: Canceled

Post by Fawfulfan Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:25 am

I'm announcing a new Surprise Challenge when you least expect it: a couple of days after the last one!

Anyway, here's the new challenge: you have until Thursday the 28th to engineer a character WAD assembled from pre-existing sprites. You MUST provide credit to the author of the sprites, at least in your submission topic, and preferably also added into the code lines of your MAINCFG or OBJCTCFG lump. If the author of the sprites would prefer to be alerted to your project, you must do that too.

Making a fully functional sprite rip isn't that hard...it can be done in as little as two hours (I know that from experience). What's MUCH harder is making a fully functional sprite rip that fits into the SRB2 style. This is almost impossible, because unless you use sprites from SRB2 (which tends to end up unoriginal even as far as sprite rips go), you're going to be using sprites from a game that is quite unlike SRB2. Thus, the sprite rip that plays best, is the cleverest addition, and, most important, fits best into SRB2.

General Rules:

You are allowed to submit as many entries as you want, but I'd recommend just getting one out before you think about others. You should post it in my 4shared folder: http://www.4shared.com/dir/10413229/b0f6da0f/sharing.html
    REMEMBER! Don't just upload it in the moment you arrive at the site. Upload it to the directory My 4shared/SRB2 2.0/Characters.
    Then, create a topic in the Surprise Challenges forum under the name "Challenge Submission--(name of character)"

Next Thursday, we will all vote on the submissions. We've extended it a week due to a lack of entries.

Good luck!

Last edited by Fawfulfan on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
    blahblahbal
    blahblahbal
    Gold User

Posts Posts : 312

SURPRISE CHALLENGE: Canceled Empty Re: SURPRISE CHALLENGE: Canceled

Post by blahblahbal Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Okay, this one's going to be more difficult for me, as I'm a mapper(though not a very good one). But I might try this.
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Posts Posts : 290

Post by a cat Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Can you convert a wad?
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

Post by Fawfulfan Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:00 pm

No. It has to be original.
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:12 am

DOUBLE POST! In this case, it's utterly unavoidable.

This is to notify everyone participating in the Surprise Challenge that it officially ends on Thursday evening (EST). If you won't be available then, post your submission on Wednesday night. Voting will begin on Friday.

I hope the turnout's better than last time! Remember, if you're the only entrant, you win by default. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that a second time, though.
    blahblahbal
    blahblahbal
    Gold User

Posts Posts : 312

Post by blahblahbal Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:50 pm

It appears I won't be participating in this contest, as there is only one day left, and I haven't even started. Hey, fawfulfan, how about a surprise challenge for SOCcing and spriting an enemy?

Last edited by blahblahbal on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:59 pm

I probably will later...

Anyway, here's another update: we still haven't gotten any submissions, so if we still don't have any by tomorrow morning, I will extend the Surprise Challenge another week.

Please post your submission if you've got one!
    Dusk
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 17

Post by Dusk Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:37 am

fawfulfan, the reason that there aren't any submissions is that a character wad is a pain in the rear, and few can make good ones. Also many people do not like rips, and many more reasons. I honestly think a character making contest is pretty dumb, because they take alot more effort than a map. I'd also suggest waiting until this forum is more populated before holding events like this.
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm well aware. These challenges are not intended to produce top-quality results; they just challenge you to work with severe limitations. I know there aren't a lot of people to enter, but I'm still working on it.

This contest will not be extended a second time. If by this Thursday we still have no entrants, this Surprise Challenge will be killed.
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Posts Posts : 290

Post by a cat Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm making a wad but it's not even done. If you wanna know it is a ring.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:16 pm