SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

SRB2 Shelter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

SURPRISE CHALLENGE: a cat was the winner

Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 823
    Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

SURPRISE CHALLENGE: a cat was the winner Empty SURPRISE CHALLENGE: a cat was the winner

Post by Fawfulfan Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:12 am

Who doesn't love Mario? (all right, some people don't, but you get my point--he's popular)

Anyway, here's the new Surprise Challenge: Create a Mario level. Coins, Goombas, ? Blocks, Thwomps, Pipes, Fire Flowers, Koopa Shells, Pumas, you name it! It can be either 2D or 3D...whichever you want. Bear in mind, of course, that 3D levels are much easier to make, and make well, but a good 2D level really stands out from the crowd. Make the level in Mario Mode, put in lots of Mario stuff, and submit your entry by next Monday.

You should submit your entries by creating a topic for them entitled "Challenge Submission--(name of entry)". I would prefer it if you also upload the file to my 4shared account--but BE SURE to put it in the Levels folder, or it will be moved!

Last edited by fawfulfan on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Posts Posts : 290

SURPRISE CHALLENGE: a cat was the winner Empty Re: SURPRISE CHALLENGE: a cat was the winner

Post by a cat Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:24 pm

I'd enter, maybe I will, but my level editor is not working. I get error 381 or something.
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

SURPRISE CHALLENGE: a cat was the winner Empty Re: SURPRISE CHALLENGE: a cat was the winner

Post by Fawfulfan Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:08 am

Even after reinstalling?

Try it again. What does the error specifically say?
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Post by a cat Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:21 pm

OK I got it running again! I had to completely delete it. Then I redownloaded it. I tried just deleting most of the files, then install.

Will I have time to make the level? I've got late days at school all week and then have a party on one day? Either ways I can do this.
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:05 am

Good! That's a relief...especially after two completely dry SCs. I just hope we get more than one entry this time; the only time an SC ever got any entries, it just got one, which won by default.
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Post by a cat Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:22 am

I'm screwed. My father did a system restore and my almost finished level is now GONE. DB is now giving me error 381 whenever I try to load the IWAD again.
    mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Posts Posts : 108

Post by mamaluigi Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:21 am

Ow, this is a very spiky feeling! I WANT to enter but I just make n00b levels and my levels always end up into an error message! No
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:26 pm

It doesn't need to be perfect. Just do what you can, and post it. There's a good chance you'd win for being the only entrant, anyway.
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Post by a cat Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:28 pm

OK I belive I CAN make it. I will work all day (till homework) and make that level for Monday morning.
    mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by mamaluigi Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:46 am

fawfulfan wrote:It doesn't need to be perfect. Just do what you can, and post it. There's a good chance you'd win for being the only entrant, anyway.
    Yeah, but an unexpected error breaks my projects always! Sad
    Also, 1 day is not enough for me! Sad
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:11 am

Again, this isn't the OLDC...the levels here don't exactly have to be great. Just do what you can, even if it's really short, and post it. Later on, the Surprise Challenges might get more demanding, but seize the opportunity now while they're easy, informal, and less quality-oriented.
    mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by mamaluigi Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Yay, I was able to fix the error! ..But could you end the contest next Monday? It'd be awesome!
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:38 pm

I'll end the contest next Monday only if we get no entries by tomorrow...Which is a distinct possibility, so hope for the best.
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Post by a cat Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:13 pm

It is almost ready. I will get my entry in by tommrow night at 8 pm.
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:14 am

Good! Remember to use the 4shared account, and put it in the SRB2/Levels folder. It looks like the contest will continue until next Monday, at which point judging will begin if we have more than one entry.
    a cat
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Post by a cat Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:38 pm

OK I am uploading it now. I know it is bad but I tried and I am not used to Mario as I never played him before.
    mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by mamaluigi Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:55 am

I'm terribly sorry, but it looks like I have to give up... *sighs* <=(
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Why? Seriously, it's not that difficult...just make a basic Mario level; it doesn't have to be fancy or long.
    mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by mamaluigi Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:26 am

fawfulfan wrote:Why? Seriously, it's not that difficult...just make a basic Mario level; it doesn't have to be fancy or long.
    Finally, I decided to do one thing: I gave up on the original one, but I'll re-enter with another one! Very Happy
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:52 am

Good! And don't worry about length or grandeur...as of this writing, your only opponent's level is really short and simple.
    mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by mamaluigi Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:07 am

fawfulfan wrote:Good! And don't worry about length or grandeur...as of this writing, your only opponent's level is really short and simple.
    But I've encountered a problem... The exit doesn't work! Sad
    Fawfulfan
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:10 am

Did you remember to assign the Exit Sector property to the sector you want the level to end in? Remember, it's the Exit Sector that ends the level, not the End Level Sign Thing.

Even if you can't figure it out, submit it. It's not the most crippling glitch in this Surprise Challenge, sadly.
    mamaluigi
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by mamaluigi Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:49 am

fawfulfan wrote:Did you remember to assign the Exit Sector property to the sector you want the level to end in? Remember, it's the Exit Sector that ends the level, not the End Level Sign Thing.

Even if you can't figure it out, submit it. It's not the most crippling glitch in this Surprise Challenge, sadly.
    Finally, I was able to figure it out, thanks! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:22 am